Saturday, April 12, 2008

Shine A Light


Like I said in my last post, I saw Shine A Light at the Lincoln Center Loews IMAX. Martin Scorsese directed this mash-up of two concerts from late 2006 with some vintage interview clips thrown in. While not as deep as The Last Waltz, the live performances have an undeniable immediacy and power to them.

I must admit to a certain personal bias. I'm a big fan of The Rolling Stones, in particular their musical output from 1966's Aftermath through 1972's Exile On Main Street. I'm also a big fan of Jameson Irish Whiskey. So the bottle of Jameson I brought into the theatre, along with some classic songs from the Exile days, made for a great experience. I counted four songs from Exile On Main Street alone. I was glad to see more obscure songs played, as I could go the rest of my life without having to hear Satisfaction again.

If you have any interest in the band, you will love this movie! The Rolling Stones have so much energy live, and it's hard not to get caught up in it watching this. I found myself singing along a couple of times. (again, I'm going to point my finger at the Jameson) I feel this will be a much better viewing experience in the theatre. Somehow I don't think it will be the same, nestled up at home on the couch. So while this won't have the lasting power of Gimme Shelter, it was a great document of the Rolling Stones live today.

And I had a great time! Recommended in IMAX.

No comments: