Thursday, July 17, 2008

2008 New York Asian Film Festival

So, a bit late, but here's my take on this year's New York Asian Film Festival.

First off, I had a great time. While this year's line-up expanded a lot from previous ones, I was only able to take in three. But all three were great films, including one I had been waiting to see long before NYAFF's lineup was announced. And free Sapporo after Sukiyaki Western Django didn't hurt my impression of the festival. Let's take these in chronological order, shall we?


Mad Detective (aka Sun Taam)

I have a confession to make: I've never seen a Johnny To film before. I took this festival as a chance to rectify that problem. First up was Mad Detective. This is the noir-ish tale of a police investigator who has the unique ability to see the spirits or "inner personalities" that dwell within other people. It allows him to see motivations and desires that aren't immediately obvious. While invaluable as an investigative tool, he isn't able to switch it off or turn it's gaze inward. He's shunned for his odd behavior, and further, isn't completely aware of it. It was an interesting premise that, fortunately, really delivered. The flawed superhuman concept reminded me of Unbreakable, yet not as dour in its execution. This story found a wonderful balance of humor with the darker material.

I imagine someone at a major studio is trying to figure out how to make this film a vehicle for Nicolas Cage. Let's hope that doesn't happen. I just read today that this will be getting a full theatrical run at the IFC Center. You can read more details here. So if you missed it during the festival, I suggest you don't make the same mistake twice.


Sparrow (aka Man jeuk)

This is about a group of four (very pleasant) pickpockets, whose tranquil existence is disturbed by the introduction of a mysterious woman. A wonderful parallel is drawn with a bird flying into the head pickpocket's apartment. He tries unsuccessfully to remove it, but it keeps returning. This movie is enchanting. And I don't use that word often. I actually felt pretty fuzzy leaving the theatre.

It was refreshing to see a new film that really understands how to use a score. Everything was kept very light, one could even say effervescent, without becoming cloyingly sweet. My favorite sequence is the shared cigarette in the car. It's already punching all the right buttons, reminding me of the shared cab scene in In The Mood For Love, one of my all-time favorite films. But the music takes a turn, that's reminiscent of Morricone's score to Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion. Specifically it brought to mind Mike Patton's cover of the main theme from Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion, with his vocal pop and slow exhale. Very sexy and very effective. Sparrow is a film I will be revisiting.

But now to completely switch gears...


Sukiyaki Western Django

Wow. This movie was MADE for me. A riff on Spaghetti Westerns? I LOVE Spaghetti Westerns! A new film by Takashi Miike? I love Miike! Everything I read about it beforehand just whetted my appetite. From the fact that all the actors would be speaking broken English to the climax being set in the snow a la The Great Silence, it all was fuel to the fire. But how did it turn out?

Anyone familiar with Miike's work knows his stuff is all over the map. I'd say that the only two constants I can point to are 1) a solid entertainment factor, and 2) an obsession with bodily fluid. This one didn't break any trends in that regard. But as a mash-up of Spaghetti Westerns? I thought it was amazing. Not only were references piled on top of one another (Django's coffin "surprise" makes an appearance), but the sense of real fun that most Italian Westerns had was on full display. They were ultimately popular entertainment, and I was most impressed to see that spirit remain intact.

Word from the festival was that this has been picked up for a US theatrical release, I believe later this year. Unfortunately, I have to agree with my friend Abe: if this movie opens wide, it will tank. The "Engrish" will turn off a lot of fans of foreign films, and the utter zaniness and moments of poetry will confuse people looking for an action movie. But for me: Christmas came early.

No comments: