Sunday, March 23, 2008

Hunky Black Tiger

So, I'm going to admit a guilty pleasure here. It's a hobby of mine that I don't talk about in polite company. I like to watch movies, and give them completely new scores. There, I said it.

I'm sure you're familiar with syncing up the Wizard of Oz with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. If you start the album right with the third roar of the MGM lion in the title credits, magic happens. You remember the introduction of this guy:

The Scarecrow flopping over the fence syncs up with the line "The lunatic is on the grass." There are more examples of this synchronicity. Coincidence? I've heard many a person debate whether this was done intentionally, whether Pink Floyd used the film as a framework for their album. I personally feel that A) that gives them too much credit, and B) doesn't matter in the slightest. When confronted with randomness, our brain attempts to connect the dots and make order. What's special about playing that specific album and film together is how many times they match up.

At the end of the day, I'm not really what you would call a Pink Floyd fan. But I am a fan of this synchronicity between two things that should make absolutely no sense together. Allow me to share some of my findings. Are you familiar with the film Tears of the Black Tiger?
I should point out that I enjoy the original music to the film. The reference to Morricone's For A Few Dollars More theme, as a greater reference to Thai (and other) Westerns blatantly stealing iconic score music was not lost on me. But again, this is beside the point. We're about to work magic!

First you are going to need copies of the DVD Tears of the Black Tiger, and the album Hunky Dory by David Bowie. Set your DVD to play at the beginning of Chapter 1. As in hit play and then immediately pause it. We don't want to be thrown off by player delays. In a separate player, Hunky Dory should be playing Eight Line Poem (track 3). Hit play when the song is at 2:16, which is right after David Bowie's last word in the song fades. Now enjoy!

Originally I synced this later in the movie to start with the beginning of the song Andy Warhol. So I can't vouch for the first 15 minutes of the movie, but the rest is gold. Comments on personal enjoyment are appreciated. Comments on me being full of crap are looked down upon but also appreciated in their own way. I'll try to post regular examples of this phenomenon; look for my Road Warrior/Nine Inch Nails sync-up in the future.

No comments: